why we farm
At Zawadi Farms, we believe small-scale farming plays a crucial role in building a more sustainable, healthy, and just society. By creating small scale farms, we can provide fresh, locally-sourced produce and contribute to a range of community benefits, including improved air and water quality, reduced food miles, and increased access to healthy food for all. By promoting urban farming in our communities, we are working to create a more equitable and livable world.
- We often have shorter supply chains than traditional farms, which means that produce is usually fresher and of a higher quality.
- We can help reduce food miles, decrease pollution, and promote biodiversity in the city.
- We actively support local food banks and charitable organizations, working to increase food access and nourish those in need. Through these efforts, we aim to bring our fresh, sustainably-grown produce to communities that may not otherwise have access to it while supporting these organizations’ vital work. We take pride in being a part of the local community and making a difference through our farm.
- Addressing food insecurity and improving health outcomes by providing fresh, healthy produce to people who may not have access to it through other means.
- We are reducing our food system’s environmental impacts, including reducing transportation costs and greenhouse gas emissions and promoting sustainable growing practices.
- Creating jobs and stimulating economic development in underserved communities, helping to create a more equitable and inclusive society.
- Bring people together and foster a sense of community, helping to build connections and a sense of belonging.
- Developing hands-on learning and education opportunities, helping people understand where their food comes from and the importance of sustainable agriculture.
This is our goal, this is our journey.
2021 Fifth Growing SeasonZawadi Farm Author
This will be our second season growing during covid lockdown. This season comes with its challenges as for starters, we lost our propagation greenhouse last [...]
2020 Fourth Growing SeasonZawadi Farm Author
This year was the greatest test we ever had. It was the Covid 19 lockdown year Winters are normally when we recuperate, rebuild ourselves through [...]
2017 First Growing SeasonZawadi Farm Author
I came into this season with all the intentions of starting big, guns blazing! I had all the ideas - but with the entrepreneurial ‘tech brain’ [...]
2017 Opening Farmers MarketZawadi Farm Author
My first location that I got to start was in a parking lot of a grocery store that had left our neighbourhood. Also, at that same [...]